Friday, August 26, 2011

Rained On (And Almost Deflated)

I thought the rain had already stopped when I set off for my night training ride. It has been raining very heavily late in the evening and I thought the skies had already emptied during that sudden downpour. But I was wrong.

It started as a slight drizzle and as the kilometres went by it starts to get heavier and pretty soon I was soaked to my socks when I have to ride through puddles upon puddles. Have to, as I have to hold a straight line following the white line so as not to stray into the traffic lane and onto the path of drivers with impaired visibility of the road and the way ahead.

I prodded on regardless eager to complete my training distance and while it’s not exactly enjoyable; it was bearable. And then the front steering went wobbly suddenly and I stopped to check to discover a puncture in the front tyre. I had a spare tube and small hand pump with me but after changing the tube; I decided to call it a night after which the rained eased off and stopped!

The next day as I drove to work; I had another puncture – this time on the rear tyre.


And while these two consecutive punctures did not dampen nor deflate my spirit; the callous remark from an old friend who called me a “weirdo” for doing this charity nearly did! Anymore discouraging or disparaging remarks anyone? *sighs*

No comments:

Post a Comment